Home Decor Trends For 2020

Happy New Year Friends, the beginning of a new decade-How fun is that? So, what’s up with the upcoming home decor trends for 2020 and why is it important to know this?….Well new decade, new look, why not? It is helpful to know what you will be seeing in stores and how to incorporate items into your home. If you are building a new home or wanting to make some changes, selecting some of your favorite new trends can give you instant updates as well as save you money in the long run. No one wants to select items that are no longer “in”.So, let’s see what direction home decor is going for the “20’s”.

The past 5 years or more the trends have stayed pretty consistent but with the new decade, people are ready for a change. If you are building a home or just ready to make some changes, you can incorporate some of these ideas to give your home a newer update for the new decade.

Here are some of the top items that I see trending from my research, but first I want to mention something…. you don’t need to take these trends literally and go over kill. They are just suggestions based on what buyers have selected for stores and what direction the decor you see in stores will take. If you get carried away with a trend in every room, you will get bored and have an “overdone” space. Less is more when going with a trend. You definitely do not need to incorporate every trend into your home

I always say to be true to yourself and your style. After all, you are the one that has to live there. So, be yourself and do you!

Trending Colors

I was involved in the fashion industry for several years, and we looked t0 the Pantone “color of the year” when starting with color trends. Many businesses and decorators look to those selections when deciding what direction to take decor. The Pantone color of the year is CLassic Blue. Moody hues and organic tones…. I’m seeing a big trend of more navy tones evolving into this year. This can be in the form of accents as well as wall colors.

Black is back and bigger than ever! Interior design firms predict that “black everything,” from cabinets to sinks, paint, and countertops will be one of the top trends in 2020. Black walls, finishes, and furniture can make your home look high end and on-trend.

The cool gray tones are starting to feel dated like tans walls were in 2000. But a warmer gray that borders on a taupe is the newest shift.  If you have basic cool gray tones in your house, just incorporate with added warm neutrals such as camel, cognac and burnt orange.

Here is a list of colors mentioned to be popular:

Navy

Champagne

Clay/Burnt orange

Charcoal

HOME DECOR TRENDS FOR 2020

Warm accents in the kitchen (goodbye all white)

Bye, Bye all white kitchens and say hello to adding warm accents such as wood tones or a pop of color on an island or your cabinets. WHite cabinets and counters still remain popular, but all white is phasing out and welcoming some texture and warmth.  Primitive tools such as bread bowls and breadboards are gaining huge popularity to the kitchen accents.Just by adding a warm stove hood, or island is enough. Or add a pop of dark navy or Green on your island. Wood range hoods are one of the top trends in kitchens for 2020.

Green Accents

Green makes a room feel so fresh, and the best way to do that is with plants. True green plants add the perfect pop of color to a neutral-colored room. The popularity of succulents is still trending however, you can get rubber plants, money plants, or snake plants to incorporate some rich greenery into your home. The best thing about these plants is that they’re not super high maintenance. If you want to get in tune with green, you can try leaf-patterned bedding, wallpaper, paintings, or even splashes of solid green decor throughout your home.

High Contrast Decor

Pops of dark gray , navy or black along with patterns and neutral backgrounds give that little bit of modern day drama.

Adding black or dark charcoal and navy accent pieces are on trend. One poplar choice is adding black or dark grey to walls. ANd speaking of walls, feature walls are fading out and going more with contrast color or texture. Also, dark painted cabinets and furniture can give you that pop of contrast. You can also give new life to an old piece of furniture with a dark paint such as this color by Sherwin Williams in Peppercorn.

Vintage/Patina Accents

“One of the emerging design trends is an appreciation of patina and age,” says interior designer Breeze Giannasio. In addition to more vintage furniture, expect to see this played out in color trends such as clay and terracotta, as well as decorative items such as earthenware and ceramics.

Gone are the days of everything all shiny and new. Add vintage items into your decor such as vintage cutting boards, antique wall art and organic pottery pieces but go easy emphasize on just a few statement pieces. More artisan style,handcrafted look pieces as accents are also on trend. I added these old vintage window to give some architectural texture to this vast space and then too keep with the vintage tone, layered these large vintage breadboards for warmth.

Floral Wallpaper

Yes, I said wallpaper. Especially in powder rooms and foyers. Adding fun but neutral prints to a powder room is trending strong. Or, instead of one wall, its suggested that more neutral patterns be used with a softer pattern. If you’re not ready to commit to wallpaper, you can always use a peel and stick paper that is easy to remove. That way if you are tired of it, you can easily remove it.

Olive trees

Apparently, Fiddle Fig leaf trees are out (well isn’t that just great since I’ve struggled to keep my fiddle fig alive all year !) This doesn’t mean throw out your old plants, maybe just add a small olive topiary. Instead of being a bright green, they are more of a sophisticated sage.

Also, plants and trees in large organic planters (the more artisan look)

Brass

Yes, I said brass but not the old shiny stuff. More of a toned down antique brass. However, mixed metals are also on trend, so don’t replace all your hardware yet. In this space we added the brass sconce lights and brass accented mirrors to bring in a little touch of brass to coordinate with our brass bed lamps. You can also buy an antique brass spray paint and give new life to an old piece such as a lamp base, or light fixture to bring in more of the updated look.

Cozy Fabrics

Fortunately for everyone who loves to cozy up with a good book comfy fabrics will be everywhere in the new year.  Think imperfect leathers, shearling fur and soft textured mohairs.

So, there you go what my take on the new trends for 2020 are. I’m loving the new direction home decor is going and will implement many of these elements in my home as my style and decor evolves. Just remember you don’t need to make all the changes at once (or any at all) the point is to have a direction to make purchase selections for your home easier and on point with the new direction in home styling. Just changing up and adding a few of these design elements can really add a nice update to your home and you don’t have to spend a lot of money.

I’d love to know what your favorite new trend is and what you are thinking about changing in your home this year. Also, please share with me any ideas you you like to see me share here. Any special topics or project ideas are appreciated. I want to be sure I’m giving you the content you are looking for.

Happy Decorating in 2020

January 7, 2020

1. Michelle

January 7th, 2020 at 1:47 pm

Thank you so much for the informative post. Your home is gorgeous and you are my favorite blogger!! Love your style!!

2. txbittons@verizon.net

January 7th, 2020 at 3:23 pm

Hi Michelle,

You are so sweet thanks that made my day. So glad you are here and thanks for following along.

~Deborah xoxo

3. Julie ellsworth

January 7th, 2020 at 2:45 pm

Such good information to keep your home on trend for the 20’s. Thanks for posting. This Texas girl looks forward to reading your posts.

4. txbittons@verizon.net

January 7th, 2020 at 3:21 pm

Hi Julie,

Thanks so much I’m glad you liked it!
    Happy 2020
    ~Deborah xoxo

5. Laura Kellogg

January 7th, 2020 at 3:12 pm

Thanks, Deb, you’re so inspiring! I’m going to incorporate a couple easy decor ideas that you gave us. 😃

6. txbittons@verizon.net

January 7th, 2020 at 3:22 pm

Hey girl,

Yay glad you like it…lots of fun trends ahead.
    Hugs xoxo

7. sonnchris4

January 7th, 2020 at 3:30 pm

Love, love this blog post! So much inspo. Thanks for taking the time to link everything.
    Your home is just beautiful.

8. txbittons@verizon.net

January 21st, 2020 at 5:18 pm

Aww yay I’m so glad you enjoyed it, that’s so kind of you to comment.

Appreciate you and thanks for following.

Deborah

9. Dana

January 7th, 2020 at 3:58 pm

Great information, thank you! Also, I love your ceiling fan, do you have a link for it?

10. txbittons@verizon.net

January 14th, 2020 at 2:17 am

Hi Dana,
    I’m so glad you enjoyed the post. It was in the home when we moved in so I don’t have any information on it unfortunately. Thanks for following along, really appreciate it.
    ~Deborah

11. Melissa Musquiz

January 7th, 2020 at 7:08 pm

Thanks so much for posting! I’ve been wondering how to transition from Christmas and this gives me some great ideas!

12. Devi Hood

January 8th, 2020 at 2:20 am

Thank you for all your research. I love your style & I get inspiration from your fireplace mantel. Christmas came & went too fast & I’m not quite ready to give up on my Christmas mantel.
    In the fall I bought similar items but never got the chance to decorate due to work schedule. I’m hoping next fall I’ll buy my items to good use.
    Keep inspiring others and I’ll keep passing your name along.
    Happy New Year
    Devi Hood

13. txbittons@verizon.net

January 14th, 2020 at 2:15 am

Hi Devi,
    You are so kind and your feedback means so much to me. I’m so glad you are inspired and enjoyed the information. I’ll have some SPring ideas coming up soon so stay tuned. I appreciate you passing my name along and following, I really appreciate it.

~Deborah

14. Lisa

January 8th, 2020 at 3:28 am

Thank you thank you…i am trying to get the nerve up to paint guest bath cabinets navy blue almost there😁 if that works out going to paint the kitchen cabinets. That 90’s orange oak is driving me nuts. My counter tops are santa Cecilia and only a couple yrs old and the island is expreso color so i am thinking some kind of white but whites are so confusing. Ugh. I truly welcome any input😊

15. txbittons@verizon.net

January 14th, 2020 at 2:13 am

Hi Lisa,

We used Simply White by Benjamin Moore and it’s a warm white without being too yellow. I totally understand on the orange oak, it’s definitely not my favorite. Thanks for commenting and good luck on your painting.

~Deborah

16. Terri Franks

January 8th, 2020 at 2:08 pm

Happy 2020! Just found your site thanks to a friend and love everything about this site and your style. My husband and I are building our retirement home, so this blog post is so helpful. Looking for to getting lots of great ideas, inspiration and direction!

17. txbittons@verizon.net

January 8th, 2020 at 7:36 pm

Hi Terri,
    Welcome, I am so glad you are here and that you are enjoying the blog. Good luck with your build and hope you’ll visit often. I have a lot of fun things planned to share.

Happy 2020
    ~Deborah

18. Melissa

January 9th, 2020 at 12:34 am

Love this post! I’m really liking the blues this spring but at a loss on how to incorporate it withmy black furniture.(dining chairs etc.). And drcor. Any suggestions?

19. txbittons@verizon.net

January 14th, 2020 at 2:10 am

Hi Melissa,

I would just use some of the blues as accents, such as a pillow or even some vases.Also, any prints for pillows that may have acombination of blue and black with neutral tones. I’m actually going to work in a little blue this Spring so stay tuned…
    Thanks for following.

~Deborah

20. Shauna Bottos

January 27th, 2020 at 12:00 pm

Well written and wonderful article full of information. Thanks for sharing such a great article with us.

21. txbittons@verizon.net

January 29th, 2020 at 7:28 pm

Hi Shauna,

I’m so glad you enjoyed the post. Appreciate the feedback.

~Deborah

22. Manco Painting

February 24th, 2020 at 11:11 am

Hi there! So glad I popped your blog. So much useful info!

23. txbittons@verizon.net

February 24th, 2020 at 6:37 pm

Hi glad you enjoyed it.
    ~Deborah

24. Catherine

March 15th, 2020 at 3:21 pm

Glad to see a come back of color and classic and elegance! I’m fixated as well as you on white walls! I can hardly wait to find a White House, as well, my hubby and I are moving ! We’re trying to find Our last house! Thank you, Deborah!

25. txbittons@verizon.net

March 17th, 2020 at 10:51 pm

Hi Catherine,

Thanks for the feedback and I appreciate your kind compliments.
    Best of luck on your move and new home.

Best,