HOW TO MAKE A SHOW STOPPER TABLESCAPE

IMG_2813

A great table does not need to be created just for special occasions. Making a pretty table part of your decor is a great way to add some special touches to your home!…So, clear off that clutter from your table, roll up your sleeves and let’s get busy on that table!!

Ok friends, time to add some wow factor to your dining room! With Thanksgiving just around the corner, I thought now would be a good time to plant that little seed of table greatness for you to create a show stopper table this year.

A great way to keep your dining room table from becoming a “junk pile” is to pretty it up. Try finding another spot for that paperwork or laundry and make your dining table a spotlight to ooh and ahh over!¬†Tables are where the fun should be, where the family and friends gather and the center of the home! So, why not make it pretty and inviting?

IMG_2486

I don’t always start with a plan. Taking items from around the house and mixing up elements makes it fun & interesting. Here are the elements for a great table.

1- Start with a base- Consider this your “background”. It doesn’t need to always be a table cloth. You can use fabric or runners to create a base. Or, just use unique items as place mats. There are some really fun pieces out there to use as a perfect base for the rest of your table theme.

IMG_2572

2- Add a charger plate. This is the next layer that will add some pop and another bit of texture to your table. Be sure it is a little larger than your dinner plate will be.

3- Select your dinner plate. This can be your most formal or casual china. Either way, use it all. Why have all that china sitting there to look at? it’s made for use so get it out and show it off!

IMG_2825

4- At this point you can either add another contrasting plate as a salad or bread plate or add a fun decor element. This item could be used as a take home party favor, a name card or a fun spin off from your centerpiece. I like finding “mini” versions of items to place here as a fun bit or surprise and conversatiion starter.

IMG_2468

5-Select your napkin. Here is where you can have some fun with color, print, texture etc. You have so many options; add a pop of color, introduce another pattern or contrasting color. If you can’t find one you like, you can cut fabric pieces that do the job just fine. Then, the options of where to place the napkin are endless. You can use or make a fun napkin ring, you can layer it in between plates as a layer, or you can do a fun napkin fold. I have a super easy one here in this post >>How to make a pretty table setting mixing prints & patterns

IMG_1895

6-Create your centerpiece. Now this can happen earlier in the process. Sometimes the centerpiece can be the inspiration to your entire table, and sometimes it can be an afterthought once you create the actual place settings. I start by finding an “anchor” for the items. This can be a tray, unique container, a small collection of items etc. Just be sure it isn’t too tall or overpowering to the table so guests can’t see each other (Confession, I’m guilty of this one, but sometimes the wow is more fun and ya just can’t help it!)

IMG_2608-1404196797-1505771444923.jpg

IMG_2607.jpg

IMG_2825

IMG_2475

IMG_1944-662779457-1504142716680.jpg

7- It’s always nice to add a candle element somewhere on the table if its an evening event. I try to make sure it’s not a scented or strong smelling candle so it won’t over power your meal (unless it’s stinky fish I guess?)

IMG_2571.jpg

8- For just decor purposes, I usually will not place the plate and have the basic decor details set up for show. Then when my guests are coming or we are preparing to eat, I’ll add the dishes needed, flatware and glassware as needed for what we are eating.

IMG_1899.jpg

So that’s the basics of creating a great table. I hope you have found some inspiration and ideas to create a create table for the holidays. Later in the season, I’ll have some great ideas for your Winter holiday events & Christmas. So be looking our for some great casual, kid and more formal tablescapes in your future!

At the end of the post I have some great sources of items you can purchase to add some great flare and wow to your table this season. I can’t wait to hear or see how your tables turn out.

*Be sure to subscribe to my email list to receive the latest post updates & tell your friends about my blog * As always, I’d love to hear form you and PLEASE Pin away to your hearts content!

This post contains affiliate links. For more information, see my disclosure here DISCLOSURE

September 24, 2017

1. Amber Ferguson

October 9th, 2017 at 10:59 pm

Simply gorgeous post Deborah! Your blog is just beautiful and full of wonderful ideas!

2. txbittons@verizon.net

October 10th, 2017 at 5:06 pm

Hi Amber!
    Thank you so much for your kind comments! I’m so glad you stopped to check it out and that you liked it….that means a lot to me.
    xoxo ~Deborah

3. Kelly

October 17th, 2017 at 7:58 pm

Deborah your table is just gorgeous! I loved how simple you made the instructions to follow! I also loved your shopping links!

4. txbittons@verizon.net

October 18th, 2017 at 2:02 pm

Hi, Thanks for stopping by and checking out the post, I appreciate it! Glad you enjoyed and it was easy to follow!
    xoxo
    ~Deborah

5. Jaclyn

October 18th, 2017 at 12:57 am

What a great post full of so many great ideas to create a gorgeous tablescape! Just love this Deborah!

6. txbittons@verizon.net

October 18th, 2017 at 2:05 pm

Hey Jaclyn,
    Thanks for stopping by and reading the post! Glad you liked it and hopefully you found something fun to try!
    xoxo
    ~Deborah

7. Merichelle

October 18th, 2017 at 4:16 pm

LOVE all these tablescape decorating tips!! And I’m obsessed with the green foliage chargers! So unique and adds fun texture!

8. txbittons@verizon.net

October 23rd, 2017 at 10:35 pm

Hey there! Thanks so much for stopping by. Glad you liked the tablescape ideas! I love those chargers too, so fun!
    Take care
    ~Deborah

9. Cheryl

October 6th, 2018 at 11:58 pm

Great post and ideas. Loved them. Can you tell me where you got the Thankful, Gather, Family, & Friends mini plates? I love them and can’t seem to find them.
    Thank you.

10. txbittons@verizon.net

October 16th, 2018 at 11:03 pm

Hi Cheryl,

I’m so happy to hear you loved the post on the table top ideas. The plates are from Michael’s Craft stores last year. Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful with that. Thank you so much for your feedback and following along. I hope you’ll come back often.

~Deborah xoxo

11. Ronda

October 11th, 2018 at 12:39 pm

This is so lovely and festive! Where did you get those beautiful plates? Both sets are gorgeous!

12. txbittons@verizon.net

October 16th, 2018 at 11:01 pm

Hi Ronda,
    Thank you so much for your feedback on the tablescape post. I’m so glad to hear you enjoyed it. The plates are from a company I used to work for called Southern Living at Home. However, they are no longer in business, which is a bummer because I would love more. I’ve been searching for some similar and when I find some, I’ll post some links.

Thanks for following and I hope you’ll come back often.
    ~Deborah xoxo

13. Jodiee Sherouse

November 15th, 2018 at 6:51 pm

Love this post!!! Looking forward to looking at others. Beautiful!

14. txbittons@verizon.net

November 18th, 2018 at 7:24 pm

Hi Jodiee,
    Thank you so much for the kind feedback, I really appreciate it. I’ll be posting some fun Christmas tables soon, so keep a look out for that post.
    ~Deborah

15. Savannah

January 8th, 2019 at 6:37 pm

Gorgeous set ups!! Where can I find the pleated burlap charger/placement??!

16. txbittons@verizon.net

January 11th, 2019 at 3:38 pm

Hi Savannah,

Thank you so much. I have a direct link to them in the “Shop my Instagram” menu on my profile bio ( just for future reference) or you can follow me on the LikeTOKnow it app.

But here is a link for them right here.

Happy New Year,
    ~Deborah

17. Teisha

July 26th, 2019 at 1:01 am

Love these candle holders. Did you make them? Or where could I find?
    Xoxo

18. Deborah Bitton

July 26th, 2019 at 9:49 pm

Hi Teisha,
    I got the candle holders from Pottery Barn several years ago. Thanks for following I appreciate it.
    ~Deborah xoxo