There’s nothing better than the comfort of warm chicken pot pie. It’s a simple dish that everyone loves. When we are craving a delicious cozy meal, this is definitely our standby every time.
Y’all I don’t know about you but I love comfy, cozy food in the Fall. This recipe is our family favorite and has been for years. I do a few shortcuts to make it as easy as possible too!
First I start with pre made pie crusts. I love to make pie dough and will sometimes, but since I started buying the refrigerated crusts, the ease is just, well easy!
But you can make your own crust if you prefer. Once you prepare your crust, then start with the filling. Sometimes I will pre chop the ingredients in the morning and place in the fridge, then it’s that much faster at dinner time.
I also started buying a roasted chicken at the grocery store and just shred it when I get home. Otherwise, you can boil chicken ahead of time then shred it once it’s cooked.
First, melt your butter then add the onion, carrots, garlic and celery and cook until softened. Next add the chicken broth, cream (I substituted for half & half instead of the heavy cream. It still thickens just as nicely), as well as the flour and seasonings. Wisk until there are no lumps and the mixture begins to thicken (about 10 minutes)
Once the mixture is thick, add the chicken and frozen vegetables. I like to add a mix of several to get as many vegis as possible.
Then add the mixture to your prepared pie crust, be sure to grease the pie plate first .
Then add the top crust and make a few small slits in the top to vent. I made these fun leaf cut outs to dress it up a little. Just use some fun cookie cutters to make the shapes or design you want.
Next, I always brush some egg white on top to give it a little shine.
These pie crust protectors are a life-saver. They really help prevent your crust from getting burnt
Then bake your pie at 400 for about 45 minutes. remove and let set for about 10 minutes
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4-1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (or half & half)
- 3 cups shredded chicken (or turkey)
- 1 cup frozen peas or you can use a bag of frozen mixed vegetables
- Heat butter over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the onions, carrots, celery and garlic and cook until tender.
- Whisk in the flour, salt, pepper, and seasonings along with the chicken broth and the cream. Whisk until there are no lumps and simmer over medium low heat for 10 minutes (it usually thickens up faster than that for me) .While this is thickening I prepare my pie crust.
- Once the mixture is thickened, add your chicken and frozen veggies. Then remove from the heat.
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Remove your pie crust from the refrigerator & place into a pie plate (9")
- Fill pie with the filling and place your second crust on top. Seal the edges trimming any of the overhang. Make some slits in the top to vent the pie.
- Brush the top with a beaten egg white.
Bake for 45 minutes until golden brown. I suggest placing the pie plate onto a baking sheet in case any liquid drips out of the sealed crust. I also like to use a crust protector about 20 minutes into baking(just until the crust gets golden brown.
Cool for 10 minutes, cut into slices and serve.
You can also freeze the pie up to 1 month. Just cool completely before placing in the freezer.